End-to-end cloud transformation
Background & Overview
Founded in 1868 with locations in all major political and financial centres around the globe, The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) is the world’s leading professional body for qualifications and standards in land, property, infrastructure and construction.
Employing more than 1,500 staff, with over 130,000 accredited professionals worldwide and a fiercely guarded reputation to uphold, RICS sets respected global standards to promote and enforce the development and management of property and construction to pioneer better places to live and work.
As a globally recognised professional body, the work undertaken by RICS is hugely varied. To remain at the forefront of technology and innovation, RICS embarked on a major digital transformation project to ensure they continue to meet both today and tomorrow’s technology demands, maintaining the highest confidence in the quality and ethics of the services provided.
To support and enable this significant transformation project, a Managed Services Provider was sought to help the institution transform their legacy infrastructure to a cloud-first digital environment, with on-going infrastructure and application support to proactively monitor, manage and maintain the environment, 24x7x365.
Initiated through a formal tender process; Comtact Ltd. was selected as the preferred service provider amongst several other competitors. Selection criteria included:
- Architect lead approach using Azure Expert level client engagement team
- Proven track record in cloud transformation to multi cloud environments
- Achievable ROI approach vs existing infrastructure TCO
- A customer-centric, flexible approach with the ability to tailor services to specific requirements.
- Ability to service a global infrastructure, across multiple sites and geographic locations on a true 24/7 basis.
What Was Delivered – The Solution
Comtact provided a complete transformation of the RICS Global infrastructure to a multi cloud environment with Microsoft Azure as the primary cloud domain.
- Architecture and design covering the complete environment including business applications, website and customer applications
- Security strategy replacement of legacy onsite solutions with cloud first security application stack
- Cloud Transformation of all day-to-day business applications and infrastructure to an Azure cloud environment.
- Azure optimisation continued improvement process post implementation to optimise the estate and reduce cost
- 24/7 Infrastructure Monitoring – Level-3 Infrastructure Monitoring of the environment.
- 24/7 IT Helpdesk Service – to deliver an end-to-end ‘always on’ user experience for RICS personnel.
Benefits & Big Wins
With Comtact’s Managed Services, the Cloud Transformation Programme is already benefitting RICS with a greater than 50% reduction in equivalent spend per annum – a significant yield.
Additional benefits include:
- Improved end-to-end performance of networks, technology and equipment – within 1-month, Comtact had fully documented the RICS network and discovered a number of recommended improvements to redress and improve uptime. Comtact’s 3rd-line team worked with RICS to provide a redesigned network to address the issues.
- Move from reactive to proactive – Move from on-call engineering support (only responding to major incidents), to a true 24/7 ‘eyes on-screen’ proactive monitoring solution, enabling proactive incident remediation, long before it becomes an actual problem.
- Overall reduction in downtime and service issues.
- Cost reduction – in addition to the 50% reduction in equivalent spend, ongoing optimisation of the estate continues to ensure that the budget is controlled to allow further investment in future transformations